b. 1960, Bergara, Spain
- Born on January 10.
- Creates his first painting at the age of nine, using an easel and palette devised by his father.
- Begins to study at the Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes in Bilbao.
Has his first encounter with the architecture of the Greater Bilbao, which he will later incorporate into his work.
- Participates in the exhibition Tramesa postal at Galeria Metrònom in Barcelona and Espacio poético experimental at Casa de España in Paris.
- Earns a fine arts degree from the Universidad del País Vasco in Leioa.
Wins first prize in the XXV Certamen de Artistas Noveles de Guipúzcoa in San Sebastián, Spain.
- Holds his first solo exhibition, at the Kutxa gallery in San Sebastián and the Galería Windsor Kulturgintza in Bilbao.
Receives a grant for artistic creation from the province of Guipúzcoa.
- Begins to teach painting in the faculty of fine arts at the Universidad del País Vasco in Leioa; he still teaches there.
Exhibits at Sala Gran Vía, 21 in Bilbao.
- Wins first prize for painting at Gure Artea 1985, sponsored by the Basque government.
Exhibits at Galería Dieciséis in San Sebastián.
- Receives the Premio Muestra de Arte Joven from the Spanish Ministry of Culture.
- Has his first exhibition in Madrid, at Galería Gamarra Garrigues.
Wins second prize for printmaking at Gure Artea 1987. Illustrates the cover of the book Arte en el País Vasco , published by Ediciones Cátedra.
- Holds exhibitions at Galería Dieciséis in San Sebastián and at the Sala de la BBK in Bilbao.
Historian Javier González de Durana compiles a catalogue raisonné of Lazkano's work between 1977 and 1988.
Travels to New York, where he begins a series of paintings of the city's architecture.
- Exhibits at Galería Antonio Machón in Madrid.
Participates in the International Istanbul Biennial.
- Receives a grant from Fundación Cultural Banesto.
Creates a mural more than 600 yards long for the Bilbao Metro.
Exhibits at Galería Antonio Machón in Madrid and Galería Windsor Kulturgintza in Bilbao.
- Creates four stamps for the Spanish postal service, commemorating Madrid's nomination as a European City of Culture.
- Exhibits at Adams-Middleton Gallery in Dallas and Collection DOBE in Lugano, Switzerland.
Ediciones Haizegoa publishes Lazkano's book Cuaderno de notas.
- Exhibits at Galería Antonio Machón in Madrid.
- Earns a doctorate in painting from the faculty of fine arts of the Universidad del País Vasco in Leioa for a dissertation on architecture and painting.
- Holds an exhibition at the Embassy Gallery in Jakarta, Indonesia. Lives in Indonesia for several months.
- Exhibits at Adams-Middleton Gallery in Dallas.
Creates a mural for the library at the Fundación Argentaria in Madrid.
- The Sala Archivo Foral in Bilbao presents an exhibition of Lazkano's work on the subject of industrial architecture.
Exhibits at Galería Dieciséis in San Sebastián. Participates in the seminar "Arte y naturaleza: El jardín como arte" at the Universidad de Zaragoza, for which he writes the essay "El jardín como laboratorio o una geometría natural."
Travels to Italy on a grant from the Academia Española de Bellas Artes in Rome.
- Organizes De lo bello y lo útil, an exhibition of paintings that reflect the ruins of industrial buildings in the province of Vizcaya, as part of the Seminario Internacional de Arquitectura Industrial at the Palacio Montehermoso inVitoria, Spain.
- De los tiempos, a retrospective exhibition of Lazkano's work from the previous ten years, is held at the Sala Rekalde in Bilbao.
- Exhibits at Galería Antonio de Barnola in Barcelona.
Publishes the essay "Del tiempo, de la ciudad, de nuestro tiempo en la ciudad," which is included in the book Ciudades imaginaries—arquitectura virtual, published by the Universidad del País Vasco.
- Exhibits at Galleria Il Polittico in Rome.
Lazkano's large-format painting Euskadi is installed at the Basque Parliament in Vitoria, Spain.
- Holds an exhibition at Galería Antonio Machón in Madrid.
Organizes and participates in the conference series "Paisajes, ¿qué paisajes?" at the Fundación Bilbaoarte in Bilbao.
Installs the mural De lo relativo o el lugar de la memoria at the Palacio Euskalduna in Bilbao.
- The Aula de Cultura de la BBK holds a major retrospective of Lazkano's work from the previous fifteen years and publishes Catálogo razonado 1989–2003.
Exhibits at Galería SEI in Pamplona.
The publishing house Bassarai releases Roma, a book of Lazkano's drawings and paintings from his stay in Italy.
- Exhibits for the second time at Galleria Il Polittico in Rome.
Begins to collaborate with the publishing house Editorial Atenea in Madrid, for whom he will design several book covers in the following years.
Lazkano's work is included in What Is Realism?, curated by Edward Lucie-Smith, at Albemarle Gallery in London.
- Lazkano's work is featured in ArchiSculpture: Dialogues between Architecture and Sculpture from the 18th Century to the Present Day at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
Installs Paisaje de paso, four large panels, at the Intermodal de San Mamés in Bilbao.
- Galería Windsor Kulturgintza in Bilbao presents the exhibition Ars imaginis, which features works by Lazkano inspired by the architecture of Mies van der Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Participates in the 58 Premio Michetti: “Nuovo Realismo” at the Fondazione Michetti in Chieti, Italy. The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao presents the exhibition Laboratories: Insights into the Permanent Collection: Jesús Mari Lazkano . Lazkano's work is simultaneously featured in the museum's exhibition Unknowns: Mapping Contemporary Basque Art , curated by Juan Luis Moraza.
- Work by Lazkano is included in the exhibition La construcción del paisaje contemporáneo at the Centro de Arte y Naturaleza, Fundación Beulas, in Huesca, Spain.
- Exhibits at the Museo de Gernika in Guernica, Spain.
- The Bilbao Fine Arts Museum presents a major retrospective of his work, focusing on the dialectics between architecture and nature. The mural Bilbao MMX is presented at the Shanghai World's Fair in China.
- The Bilbao MMX mural is shown at AlhóndigaBilbao to mark the exhibition Bilbao Guggenheim ++ Shanghai World Expo 2010.