b. 1945, Bristol, England
- Born on June 2.
- Attends the West of England College of Art in Bristol.
- Enrolls at Saint Martins School of Art in London, graduating two years later.
- Incorporates walking through landscapes into his art practice in the work A Line Made by Walking.
- Long's first solo exhibition takes place at Konrad Fischer Galerie in Düsseldorf, where he will meet Carl Andre and Joseph Beuys.
- Long's work is featured in the show When Attitude Becomes Form at the Kunsthalle Bern.
Exhibits at Museum Haus Lange in Krefeld, Germany, and at galleries in New York, Paris, and Milan.
- Begins to execute sculptures that consist of labyrinths formed of natural materials such as wood, clay, and stone.
Exhibits at Dwan Gallery in New York.
The Städtisches Museum Abteiberg in Mönchen- gladbach, Germany, presents an exhibition of his work.
- The Whitechapel Art Gallery in London and the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford present Long's first solo exhibition in England.
Participates in Guggenheim International Exhibition, 1971 at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- Exhibits in the Projects Gallery at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
Takes part in Documenta 5 in Kassel, Germany.
- Exhibits at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam.
- The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh mounts an exhibition of Long's work.
- Exhibits at Wide White Space in Antwerp; Art & Project in Amsterdam; and the Plymouth School of Art in Plymouth, England.
- Represents Great Britain at the XXXVII Biennale di Venezia.
- The Whitechapel Art Gallery in London and the Kunsthalle Bern organize exhibitions of Long's work. The National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne and the Art Gallery of New
South Wales in Sydney mount exhibitions of Long's work.
- The Ink Halle für Internationale Neue Kunst in Zurich presents an exhibition of Long's work.
- Establishes a relationship with Anthony d'Offay Gallery in London, where he exhibits his work later in the year. Exhibits at the Stedelijk Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Takes part in the XXXIX Biennale di Venezia.
- Exhibits at the Centre d'Arts Plastiques Contemporains in Bordeaux.
- Participates in Documenta 7 in Kassel, Germany.
An exhibition of Long's work is held at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
- Long's work is shown at the Padiglione d'Arte Contemporanea di Milano in Milan and the Malmö Konsthall in Malmö, Sweden.
- The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York holds an exhibition of the artist's work from the 1970s. Exhibits at the Palacio de Cristal in Madrid's Parque del Buen Retiro.
- Exhibits at the Centre National d'Art Contemporain in Grenoble.
- Receives the Kunstpreis Aachen, which leads to an exhibition at the Neue Galerie-Sammlung Ludwig in Aachen, Germany.
Director Philip Haas shoots the film Stones and Flies: Richard Long in the Sahara.
- Receives the Turner Prize, awarded by the Tate Gallery in London.
Long's work is exhibited at the Kunstmuseum Sankt Gallen in Saint Gall, Switzerland; La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla, California; and the Henry Moore Sculpture Trust Studio in Halifax, England.
- Named Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French government.
The Tate Gallery in London and Magasin 3 Stockholm Konsthall mount exhibitions of Long's work.
- Major exhibitions of Long's work are organized by the Hayward Gallery in London, the Tate Gallery in Liverpool, Städtische Galerie im Städelschen Kunstinstitut in Frankfurt, and Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh.
- The Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris holds an exhibition of his work.
- Long's work is presented at the XXII Bienal de São Paulo.
Exhibitions of Long's work are presented at the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen in Düsseldorf; Philadelphia Museum of Art; Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome; and Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney.
- Receives the Wilhelm-Lehmbruck-Award from the city of Duisburg, Germany.
Exhibitions of Long's work are presented at the Setagaya Art Museum in Tokyo and the National Modern Art Museum in Kyoto; and at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth and the Contemporary Arts Museum in Houston.
- The Wilhelm Lehmbruck Museum in Duisburg, Germany; Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery; and Spazio Zero-Cantieri Culturali alla Zisa in Palermo, Italy, mount exhibitions of Long's work.
Long's work is included in The Guggenheim Museums and the Art of This Century, the inaugural exhibition of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- Long's Herd Droppings (1996) is shown at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield, England.
- The Tate Modern holds an exhibition of Long's work alongside Claude Monet's.
Named a fellow of the Royal West of England Academy in Bristol.
Creates the work Bilbao Circle , which is shown at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao in a solo exhibition. Exhibits at the Museo d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto in Rovereto, Italy.
- Elected a fellow of the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
Exhibitions of Long's work are organized by the Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves in Porto and the Milwaukee Art Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Exhibits at the New Art Centre Sculpture Park and Gallery in East Winterslow, England.
- Exhibits The Music of Stones at the Stommeln Synagogue in Pulheim, Germany.
- The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art organizes the exhibition Richard Long: The Path Is the Place Is the Line.
Participates in the XII Biennale Internazionale di Scultura di Carrara in Carrara, Italy.
- The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh presents the exhibition Richard Long: Walking and Parking, which includes works made specially for the exhibition.
The Turner Prize: A Retrospective at Tate Modern in London includes work by Long.
His work is also featured in the exhibition The Shapes of Space at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- The exhibition Richard Long is presented at the Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporain in Nice, France. Long's work is featured in the exhibitions Depot VBVR: Cragg, Flanagan, Gilbert & George, Long, Lord, Pope at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and India moderna at the Institut Valencià d'Art Modern in Valencia, Spain.
- Tate Modern in London mounts the exhibition Richard Long: Heaven and Earth .
Long's work is featured in the exhibition Origins at the Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art in Peekskill, New York.
- A number of exhibitions are dedicated to the artist—at the Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart, Berlin; Skulpturenpark Waldfrieden, Wuppertal, Germany; James Cohan Gallery Shanghai, China; Galerie Tschudi, Zuoz, Switzerland; and the MC Gallery, Seoul, South Korea. His work is featured in the exhibition Between Here and There: Passages in Contemporary Photography at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and in the show On Line: Drawing Through the Twentieth Century at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), both in New York.
- The Sperone Westwater, New York, inaugurates the exhibition Richard Long: Flow and Ebb, and Haunch of Venison, London, presents Human Nature.