b. 1936, Piraeus, Greece
- Moves from Greece to Rome.
Studies at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Roma.
- Has his first solo show, L'alfabeto di Kounellis , at Galleria la Tartaruga in Rome.
- Begins to use found objects in his paintings.
Participates in the Biennale di San Marino.
- Kounellis's work is included in the exhibition Arte povera e IM spazio at the Galleria La Bertesca in Genoa, Italy. This exhibition is curated by Germano Celant, who coined the term "arte povera."
Participates in the Biennale de Paris.
- Presents eleven live horses in an exhibition at Galleria l'Attico in Rome.
Participates in the Biennale de Paris.
- Kounellis's work is included in the Tokyo Biennial.
- Exhibits at Galería Enzo Sperone in Turin.
- Has his first solo show in New York, at Ileana Sonnabend Gallery, where he will frequently show his work in the coming years.
Participates in Documenta 5 in Kassel, Germany, and the XXXVI Biennale di Venezia.
- Participates in the XXXVII Biennale di Venezia.
- Exhibits in Athens for the first time, at the Jean and Karen Bernier Gallery.
Exhibits at the Kunstmuseum Bern and at the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam. Participates in Documenta 6 in Kassel, Germany.
- The Städtisches Museum Abteiberg in Mönchen- gladbach, Germany, organizes an exhibition of Kounellis's work.
Receives the Premio Pino Pascali.
Participates in the XXXVIII Biennale di Venezia.
- Exhibits at the Folkwang Museum in Essen, Germany.
- The Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris holds an exhibition of Kounellis's work.
Participates in the XXXIX Biennale di Venezia.
- The Stedelijk Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, presents an exhibition of Kounellis's work that later travels to the Fundación Caja de Pensiones in Madrid; Whitechapel Art Gallery in London; and Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden.
- Participates in Documenta 7 in Kassel, Germany.
- Exhibits at the Museum Haus Esters in Krefeld, Germany.
Participates in the XLI Biennale di Venezia .
- CAPC, Musée d'Art Contemporain de Bordeaux presents a major exhibition of Kounellis's work.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago holds a retrospective of Kounellis's work. The exhibition later travels to the Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal.
- Exhibits at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Nagoya, Japan.
- Exhibits at the Museo d'Arte Contemporanea Castello di Rivoli in Turin, Italy.
Participates in the XLIII Biennale di Venezia.
- Exhibits at the Espai Poblenou in Barcelona.
- Jannis Kounellis: Via del mare opens at the Stedeljik Museum in Amsterdam.
The exhibition La stanza verde is shown at the Gemeentemuseum Den Haag in the Hague; the Arnolfini in Bristol, England; the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London; and the Fundació Antoni Tàpies in Barcelona.
- Exhibits at the Henry Moore Sculpture Trust Studio at Dean Clough in Halifax, England.
- Has exhibitions at the Belvedere Palace in Prague, Palazzo Fabroni in Pistoia, Italy, and Marian Goodman Gallery in New York.
Participates in the XLV Biennale di Venezia.
- Exhibits at Anthony d'Offay Gallery in London, Konrad Fischer Galerie in Düsseldorf, and Galerie Lelong in Paris. Installs a selection of his works from the previous thirty years in a boat called Ionion and moors it in the port of his birthplace, Piraeus, Greece.
- Participates in the International Istanbul Biennial.
- Exhibits at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid.
Kounellis: Die Front, das Denken, der Sturm opens at the Museum Ludwig in Cologne.
Kounellis's work is included in the inaugural exhibition of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, The Guggenheim Museums and the Art of This Century.
- One of Kounellis's sculptures is permanently installed on Ponte di Tappia in Naples.
- Il sarcofago degli sposi opens at the Österreichisches Museum für Angewandte Kunst in Vienna.
- Exhibits at the Kunstmuseum Winterthur and at the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Buenos Aires.
- Exhibitions of Kounellis's work are shown at the Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales in Montevideo, and at the Centro per l'Arte Contemporanea Luigi Pecci in Prato, Italy.
- Exhibits at the Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst in Ghent, Belgium, and at the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna in Rome.
Kounellis's work is included in Process and Materiality in Art at the Mid-Twentieth Century at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- Exhibits at the Monastero Mechitarista dell'Isola di San Lazzaro degli Armeni near Venice and at the Kunstraum Innsbruck in Innsbruck, Austria.
- Exhibits recent work at the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford.
The National Museum of Contemporary Art in Athens presents a solo exhibition of Kounellis's work during the Olympic Games.
- The retrospective Jannis Kounellis: Works, 1958–2005 opens at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh.
Opus One opens at the Albertina in Vienna and later travels to the Musée d'Art Moderne de Saint-Étienne Métropole in Saint-Étienne, France.
- Exhibits at the Fondazione Arnaldo Pomodoro in Milan and at the Museo d'Arte Contemporanea Donnaregina in Naples.
Participates in the exhibition Homage to Chillida at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- The Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin presents an exhibition of the artist's work.
Recent work by Kounellis is shown at Galería Arte Contemporáneo in Málaga, Spain.
- Participates in the 16th Biennale of Sydney.
Shows at Galerie Lelong in Zurich.
Kounellis's work is featured in the exhibition Traces du sacré at the Musée National d'Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris.
- Participates in the 11th International Istanbul Biennial.
Kounellis's work is featured in the exhibition Antes de ayer y pasado mañana; o lo que pude ser pintura hoy at the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo Union Fenosa in La Coruña, Spain.
- Il expose dans la Fondation Marcelino Botín, Santander, la Galerie Altxerri, Donostia-San Sebastián, la Meessen De Clercq, Bruxelles, et dans la Ambika P3, University of Westminster, Londres.
- La Galerie Lelong, Paris, inaugure l'exposition Klein - Kounellis feu / contre-feu . Son œuvre est exposée dans la Sonnabend Gallery, New York, la Galleria d'Arte Moderna « Raccolta Lercaro », Bologne, les Abattoirs, Toulouse, et l'Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sidney.