b. 1949, Morro d’Alba, Italy
- Born on November 14.
Lives with his aunt and uncle during his childhood. Works as an apprentice to painting and book restorers. Begins to teach himself how to paint, but stops temporarily to pursue an interest in poetry.
- Publishes the poetry volume Il veleno è stato sollevato e trasportato.
Begins to spend time in Rome and renews an interest in art.
Meets critic Achille Bonito Oliva.
- Has his first solo exhibition, at Galleria Luigi de Ambrogi in Milan.
Shows a series of drawings at Incontri Internazionali d'Arte in Rome.
- Establishes a relationship with Galleria Emilio Mazzoli in Modena, Italy, where he will exhibit his works on several occasions.
Achille Bonito Oliva coins the term Transavanguardia to describe the work of Cucchi, Francesco Clemente, Sandro Chia, Nicola De Maria, and Mimmo Paladino.
Takes part in the XV Bienal de São Paulo.
- Galerie Paul Maenz in Cologne presents a solo show of Cucchi's work.
Takes part in the XXXIX Biennale di Venezia and the XIe Biennale de Paris.
- Gian Enzo Sperone in Rome, Sperone Westwater Fischer Gallery in New York, and Galerie Bruno Bischofberger in Zurich exhibit Cucchi's work.
- Takes part in Documenta 7 in Kassel, Germany, and the Fourth Biennale of Sydney.
Has a solo exhibition at the Kunsthaus Zürich.
- The Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston presents an exhibition of Cucchi's work.
- The Louisiana Museum for Moderne Kunst in Humlebaek, Denmark, presents the exhibition Enzo Cucchi: Il deserto della scultura.
Cucchi's work is also shown at the Fundación Caja de Pensiones in Madrid and the Musée d'Art Contemporain de Bordeaux.
- The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Musée National d'Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris present exhibitions of his work.
- Participates in Documenta 8 in Kassel, Germany.
The Kunsthalle Bielefeld in Bielefeld, Germany, presents an exhibition of Cucchi's work that later travels to the Staatsgalerie Moderner Kunst in Munich.
The exhibition Enzo Cucchi: Testa opens at the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus in Munich and later travels to other European museums.
- The Kunsthaus Zürich presents a retrospective show of Cucchi's work that later travels to the Louisiana Museum for Moderne Kunst, and the Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf.
- The exhibition Roma opens at the Galleria Civica del Comune di Modena in Modena,
Italy, before traveling to the Galleria Civica di Arte Contemporanea di Trento, in Trento, Italy.
- Exhibitions of Cucchi's work are shown at the Kunsthalle Hamburg and the Fundació Joan Miró in Barcelona.
- An exhibition of Cucchi's work is shown at the Palazzo Reale in Milan.
- The Sezon Museum of Art in Tokyo presents a retrospective exhibition of Cucchi's work that later travels to other museums in Japan.
Cucchi's work is shown at the Zamalek Arts Center in Cairo.
Designs the curtain for Teatro La Fenice in Senigallia, Italy.
- Exhibitions of Cucchi's work are held at the Suermondt- Ludwig-Museum in Aachen, Germany; the Centro Cultural Recoleta in Buenos Aires; and the Galleria d'Arte Moderna in Bologna.
The city of Ancona renders homage to Cucchi with the show Città d'Ancona Enzo Cucchi, held in the historic Mole Vanvitelliana.
Cucchi's work is featured in The Guggenheim Museums and the Art of This Century, the inaugural exhibition of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, as well as in Recent European Art at the same museum.
- The Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna in Rome presents the exhibition “Saluto” ai soggetti impossibili di Enzo Cucchi in partenza da Roma.
- The Tel Aviv Museum of Art commissions Cucchi to create Mosaico de Tel Aviv, a mosaic of colored granite located in the museum's sculpture garden.
- Creates a ceramic mosaic for the Stazione Termini in Rome.
- The Tel Aviv Museum of Art organizes an exhibition of Cucchi's work.
- Artium, Centro Museo Vasco de Arte Contemporáneo in Vitoria, Spain, presents a wide-ranging retrospective of Cucchi's drawings from 1971 to 2001.
- Exhibits at Galerie Bruno Bischofberger in Zurich.
- Receives the Premio Artista dell'Anno 2004 from the Comuni di Belluno e di Cortina d'Ampezzo.
- Exhibits drawings and sculptures at Jablonka Galerie in Cologne.
- The Musée d'Art Moderne de Saint-Étienne Métropole in Saint-Étienne, France, holds a retrospective of Cucchi's drawings.
Exhibits at the Académie de France à Rome, Villa Medici in Rome.
- Coinciding with the inauguration of the 52nd Biennale di Venezia, the Museo Correr in Venice presents an exhibition devoted to the artist's work.
Cucchi's work is featured in the exhibition Goffredo Parise e gli artisti at the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna in Rome.
- Awarded, together with Ettore Sottsass, the PAALMA: Premio Artista + Architetto La Marrana Arte Ambientale, for the work Chiostro della pace.
Cucchi's work is featured in the exhibition UBS Openings: Paintings from the 1980s at Tate Modern in London.
- Takes part in the Triennale di Milano, working in situ at the Atelier Bovisa, and in VM21 Arte Contemporanea ad Arte Fiera in Rome.
The Espoo Museum of Modern Art in Espoo, Finland, presents the exhibition Enzo Cucchi.
- The Museo d'Arte Contemporanea di Roma (MACRO) inaugurates the exhibition Costume Interiore, which will later travel to the Italian Cultural Institute of New York. His work is shown at the Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche (MIC) in Faenza, Italy, and at BIASA ArtSpace in Kuta, Bali. Together with Francesco Clemente and Mimmo Paladino, presents a show entitled 30 JAHRE TRANSAVANGUARDIA at the Galerie Bernd Klüser in Munich.
- His work is displayed with that of other artists at the Museum am Dom, Würzburg, Germany, the Galerie Michael Haas, Berlin, the Von der Heydt-Museum, Wuppertal, Germany, and at the National Museum of Contemporary Art (MNAC), Bucharest.