b. 1958, Bogotá, Colombia
- Receives a bachelor of fine arts degree from the Universidad de Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano in Bogotá.
- Receives a master of fine arts degree from New York University in New York.
- Exhibits at Casa de la Moneda in Bogotá.
- Participates in the XXXI Salón Anual de Artistas Colombianos in Medellín.
- Exhibits at Galería Garcés Velásquez in Bogotá.
- The Shedhalle Zürich presents an exhibition of Salcedo's work.
Participates in the 9th Biennale of Sydney in Sydney, Australia.
- Participates in Aperto 93 at the XLV Biennale di Venezia.
- Brooke Alexander Gallery in New York presents the solo exhibition La Casa Viuda.
Salcedo's work is included in Cocido y crudo at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid.
- Receives a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation grant.
Exhibits for the first time at White Cube in London.
- Exhibits at Le Creux de l'Enfer in Thiers, France; L. A. Louver in Los Angeles; and Galería Camargo Vilaça in São Paulo.
- The New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York presents the exhibition Doris Salcedo/Unland, which later travels to SITE Santa Fe and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
Salcedo's work is included in the exhibition Roteiros at the XXIV Bienal de São Paulo.
- Salcedo's Unland series is exhibited for the first time in Europe at the Tate Gallery in London.
Her work is featured in Modern Starts: Places at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- Alexander and Bonin in New York presents Doris Salcedo, Tenebrae: Noviembre 7, 1985.
Salcedo's work is included in exhibitions at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago; Tate Modern in London; and the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- The Camden Arts Centre in London presents an exhibition of the artist's work.
Salcedo's work is featured in Versiones del Sur: Estética del suenõ at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid.
- Participates in Documenta 11 in Kassel and Imagine, You Are Standing Here in Front of Me at the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam.
Salcedo's work is included in group exhibitions at Alexander and Bonin in New York and White Cube in London.
- Participates in the 8th Istanbul Biennial.
- Presents Neither at White Cube in London.
- Receives the Ordway Prize, awarded by the Penny McCall Foundation in New York.
Participates in Abyss: T1 Triennial of Contemporary Art at Castello di Rivoli in Turin.
- Salcedo's Shibboleth is installed in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern in London.
The artist's work is also shown at White Cube in London.
- Alexander and Bonin in New York presents an exhibition of the artist's work.
Inhotim, Centro de Arte Contemporânea, in Brumadinho, Brazil, presents Neither.
Salcedo's work is included in NeoHooDoo: Art for a Forgotten Faith at the P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center in New York and the Menil Collection in Houston.
- Receives the Premio Velázquez de Artes Plásticas from the Spanish Ministry of Culture.
- Salcedo's installation Plegaria Muda is exhibited at the Moderna Museet in Malmö, Sweden; CAM, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian in Lisbon; and Museo Universitario Arte Contemporáneo in Mexico City.
Work by Salcedo is included in the exhibition New Order at White Cube in London.